Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Eat, Drink And Be Merry.... Not So Much

So I was thinking about the old adage, "Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die". I've never been fond of it and I finally realized why. Maybe it is the start of a new year that fills the air with possibilities, or looking at my little ones and the adventures they have had in their lives and the adventures still to come. Perhaps it is just hearing everyone discuss their battles with their healthier New Years resolutions. What ever the cause I realised that I don't like the phrase because it is so negative. I know it's original meaning but I would like to reflect on it as it would apply to us today. All too often we may find moments in our lives we need to escape from, a kind of vacation in a minute scenario if you will. We have all been there, your sad, stressed, lonely, tired, discouraged or what ever and for a brief quick moment you need to escape and find the energy to move forward. That is when it happens, you reach for something that won't improve things it will just give you a quick escape with only more discouragement when you return from that "vacation in a minute". Perhaps you are like me and you reach for something sweet to help you stay awake, or perhaps you seek for something that comes with a greater negative consequence after it has been partaken of. Why do we do this to our selves, eat, drink and seek false happiness because we want to avoid any difficult experiences we may be facing in turn only complicating our circumstances further. So here is what I propose, lets change the expression. Instead of " eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die", lets change it to, (and you fill in the blanks)" ___________, __________ and __________ for today we live". For example: find knowledge, peace and joy for today we live. I'm curious what would you say how would you fill in the blanks to make this a positive mantra for your life? I would love to hear so don't be shy and respond. *Remember we all have a voice and you deserve to have yours heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment